Saturday, February 4, 2012

Gug

Click image for larger view


"It was a paw, fully two feet and a half across, and equipped with formidable talons. After it came another paw, and after that a great black-furred arm to which both of the paws were attached by short forearms. Then two pink eyes shone, and the head of the awakened gug sentry, large as a barrel, wabbled into view. The eyes jutted two inches from each side, shaded by bony protuberances overgrown with coarse hairs. But the head was chiefly terrible because of the mouth. That mouth had great yellow fangs and ran from the top to the bottom of the head, opening vertically instead of horizontally."
—H. P. Lovecraft, The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath

If you wish to follow my other work and/or see the occasional work in progress in addition to the finished pieces posted here, you may follow me at http://eclectixx.deviantart.com/

9 comments:

  1. it's been many years since i've read any lovecraft, and i guess it's basically your drawings/pictures i'm interrested in seeing. but might just get inspired to read lovecraft again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! If you find some spare time to read, you can find much of his work online since it is in the public domain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have lots of time to read. right now i'm re-reading Kings 'the stand', which i really enjoy... don't know if you are familiar with Robert Jordan's The Wheel Of Time, which is a fantasy tale, with many monsters in it... could be fun to see some drawings of those, to see if they look the same as in my minds eye.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm familiar with The Wheel of Time, though I have not read the series. I have been meaning to read them for some time but have not yet gotten around to it.

      Delete
    2. Hi K.L., Amazing work, and by far the best gug on the web. I'm an old AD&D player who is assembling 30 years of work into some free on-line sourcebooks. I long ago converted many cthuloids to AD&D for inclusion, but have NO art skills. I can't offer you any money, but could I use some of your drawings? Each one will be credited at the picture and on an artist credit page in any fashion you would like. If this sounds like something you might allow, please email me and I'll send you the page the gug is on as an example. Thanks! ~Ed (RNcalledEd@gmail.com) PS: Wheel of Time is totally worth the read if you love world building and don't mind a slow moving plot. I too would love to see your take on several creatures!

      Delete
  4. This picture is AMAZING! Wow this picture truely gave me the creeps! OH, definitely one of the most horrible monstrosities of all the beasts in the Cthulhu Mythos! Once again, GREAT Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again! I chose this one for my first piece because I've seen a lot of illustrations of gugs, but none of them quite captured the horror I thought they should.

      Delete
  5. this is really a gr8 illustration of Gug... best one i hav seen so far
    jst had a request to make...i hav a band death/doom metal band called Dirge
    We wish to use ur artwork as an album art... we seek ur permission...

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the best Gugs on the internet.

    BRIAN

    ReplyDelete